6/03/2023

Pride Month Is About Activism, Not Acceptance

 

June 3, 2023

Pride month today isn’t bringing anyone together. To the contrary, it’s only pulling us farther apart.

June used to be the most exciting month of the year.

Coming from someone who hates winter, June has always been a welcome celebration of summertime, complete with the longest days of the year and some of the warmest. It was always the month that I put another year behind me both in school and as a Gemini, though I won’t pretend to believe in anything related to astrology. If I were superstitious, I might fear the fact that June 13 was a Friday in 1997. Some girls might complain the bad-luck date explains my gayness (sorry, ladies).

But just as aging has begun to produce more anxiety than excitement, June has transformed from the inaugural month of summertime and music festivals to a dreaded 30-day parade in an escalating culture war. Pride month is here.

Full Article

No comments:

Post a Comment